Gentle Birth Midwifery
I have worked with birthing women since 1991, beginning as an assistant in a hospital. At the same time I was working as a breast feeding peer counselor, and childbirth educator. After becomming a nurse in 1993, I continued to work as an assistant with birthing women in the hospital. Not liking how women were treated by the medical community, I began to look at other birthing choices. When I had my children, I had wanted a home birth, but could not find a midwife to attend my births. Now as a nurse working with birthing women, I wanted to be sure all women had choices. When a free standing birth center opened, I began to work as a nurse there, and also with midwives in the homebirth setting. It was then that I decided to become a Midwife myself. I believe birth to be a normal process, designed by God.
My Philosophy of Care
I believe :
- God is the great physician, (Exodus 15:26 "For I am the Lord, who heals you."), and that He is in control of ALL things.
- That life begins at conception.
- You the mother and you the father have been given a gift of this little one, and it is up to you to learn all you can about your pregnancy and birth. You are in charge of the decisions. I, as a midwife may suggest and guide, but I support the decision that you make.
- Prenatal care should begin early. Healthy moms and babies prenatally result in healthy moms and babies at birth.
- Giving birth is a family event. I think that you should educate yourself about pregnancy and birth so you make informed decisions. Where you give birth and with whom you choose to have attend your birth is your personal choice and you have the right to make this choice.
- Pregnancy and birth is not a illness or medical event.
- How you birth this little one, as a safe and gentle birth, will have an impact on his/her life.
- How you care for yourself during this pregnancy will affect the health of this little one, and the birth process.
- I believe that Our Father, Son and Holy Spirit are in control and I am their servant.
- A Little about me
I am a mother of 5 children, 3 grown and married, and 2 still in school. All 5 were home educated until reaching the high school level where they decide to stay in home school or attend public school. So far the oldest 3 have graduated from homeschool. I have 3 grandchildren. Two were born at my home, one was a water birth! What a joy to greet your own grandchildren! The third one was born in a hospital by my back up doctor, while I was on a mission trip. She decided to arrive before I got home.
I service Southern Michigan and Northern Indiana. I am a Certified Professional Midwife (CPM) providing the Midwives Model of Care, certified in CPR, Neonatal Resuscitation, a member of Indiana Midwives Association, Michigan Midwives Association, MANA, National Association for Certified Professional Midwives, and The Christian Midwives Association.
Prenatal care is done in your home, or you may come to my home office. I do all home births.
- is an option with my services. I find that mothers relax very well when they labor in the tub.
As a Christian midwife, my practice is bathed in faith and prayer. Midwifery is a calling, one of the highest callings. God designed our bodies very well, able to give birth and birth is a normal process, if left to proceed as He intended. I believe that man's many needless interventions only cause problems. But if needed, I am ready to respond and take action to keep the birth safe for you and your baby. Your baby needs a safe and gentle beginning.
I want to get to know my clients, so my prenatal visits are an average of one hour in length once the initial visit is done. I limit my practice in the number of clients I serve, so I have enough personal time to spend with each of you.
Water birth is one of the options I provide. All birthing choices are yours to decide on. I do have a number of books, videos and other supplies to lend to my clients. If I am unable to meet your needs, I will work to introduce you to one of the many midwives that I know so you will have the birth you want.
You may reach me at 260-367-0174 days, and after 7pm (IN time) at 260-367-1544.
My web site is birthgreeter.com